Sunday, October 7, 2012

Probably the Most Delicious Thing to do With Leftover Japanese Curry.

It's curry omelette rice (omuraisu)!

For real.

I recently made a vat of Extra Hot S & B Golden Curry because I'm poor and this will feed me for like a week and a half for about $8 total. I don't add meat to mine because, as I previously stated, I'm too poor to afford meat. If I could afford meat, I would probably use chicken or beef because I don't eat pork (for health reasons). You can use whatever you want in your curry.

But! This is for after you've made your curry and have eaten so much of the damn stuff that you're getting bored with it and you still have more left over. It's not that it isn't delicious. It's just that after eating curry for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for like five days straight... A but of variety is warranted.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup cooked rice (Brown or white. It doesn't matter.)
2 eggs
Ketchup
Leftover curry
Sriracha (optional. But delicious.)
Kewpie mayonnaise (also optional but delicious)

Whisk the eggs together in an appropriately-sized bowl. Pour into a lightly-oiled medium-sized skillet to cook your omelette. Make sure it's big enough to coat the bottom of the pan to create a nice, big, circular sheet. How long you would like to cook your eggs may vary. Runny eggs gross me out, so I cook mine all the way through. Some people like it to be just a little runny. Do what you like.

Once your eggs are done, slide the egg sheet onto a plate and set aside. This would be the time to create cut-out shapes in your egg sheet if you desire.

In the same skillet (less dishes to do!), begin to fry your rice as you would if you were making fried rice. Add a few squirts of ketchup and Sriracha (of you like some spice) to taste (I like just enough to color my rice light pink) and continue to fry. Begin to add leftover curry. How much you use is up to you, but you generally want enough to add a substantial amount of vegetables to your rice, but not so much that it's a runny, delicious mess. You want it to have a consistency reminiscent of a paste. Brown the ketchup-curry-rice mixture a bit in the skillet so you get some nice little crispy portions.

Once the rice is cooked to your liking, form it into a log in the middle of the egg sheet. Wrap the edges of the egg sheet around the rice and flip the whole thing over so the seams are face-down.

You could squirt ketchup on the top and be done with it. You could.

But me?

I like to take it to the next level. I create a mixture- one part Kewpie mayo, one part Sriracha and drizzle that and a little extra Sriracha on the top. I just like my food spicy like that. :P

But seriously. The ketchup is okay. I kind of dislike ketchup. But spicy Kewpie mayo? That seriously does give the entire dish a whole new dimension. So melty and spicy and tasty!

And that's it. The secret to deliciousness with a bit of variety. I think I'll just go and eat this for a while now...

No comments:

Post a Comment